Re: Starter / Compression (Flywheel / Ring gear)

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter / Compression (Flywheel / Ring gear)
From: DATSFUN <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:15:47 -0700
Good call Gary, the ring gear is replaceable; Nissan part# 12312-61000,
don't know if they are still available, but I'd guess they are. A decent
used flywheel may be cheaper than a new ring gear, plus if this is the
problem it gives CalSpeed the chance to lighten his flywheel. BTW
removing the ring gear seems simple enough, heating with a torch - no
worry of damage its trashed already. But, how hot do you need to get the
new ring gear to install, can you do it in an oven at say 450 F, with
the flywheel at ambient? Less risk of damaging the ring gear with
uniform oven heat (just tell your wife you're making cookies).
Todd Osborn
68 2L x 2
San Jose, CA