newbie mechanic needs help

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: newbie mechanic needs help
From: "Amy & Erik" <apotter@mn.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:01:02 -0500
Or should that be wannabe mechanic?  I cannot get my car to start.
Car de-smogged 2L1600, Last ran about 2 months ago. Would die due to lots of
sediment in tank, but when it ran, it ran nicely.  Got a new (gas tank renu)
tank, new modern fuel filter, new fuel pump diaphram, cleaned out the
screens in the banjo bolts.  Checked the oil in the pistons, all is fine.
Gas is making it to the carbs, I can see it dripping through the filter.  I
bypassed the glass bowl.
It started but was running only on the #3 and 4 cylinders. New plugs this
week.  The wires are in the correct firing order, plug gap is fine, yellow
spark shows on all 4.  New cap, rotor points and coil last spring.  A slight
amount of what looks like soot, or powder on the inside of the cap.
Now I cannot get it to start.  It will catch ever so slightly then die with
the occasional backfire.  It will have a lumpy idle like it is running on 1
cylinder, then die in seconds.  The only other thing I can report is the
black liquid sooty stuff being spit out the tailpipe, and the plugs were
slightly damp, indicating what?  Too rich, flooded?  What else should I be
looking at?
Erik Smeby
2L 1600 running about as well as my 0L 2000