SEROC takes Road Atlanta! long..

To: "Roadsters (E-mail)" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: SEROC takes Road Atlanta! long..
From: "Hall, Phillip" <Phillip.Hall@msfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:11:14 -0500
Hey Listers -

SEROC dominates Road Atlanta with 4 Roadsters and a NOROCer.  I took off for
RA Saturday morning and arrived early afternoon - bad traffic!  I drove into
the infield to find Ben and Rita Zech (they were at Shasta - supper nice
people) in their very nice white '67 and NOROCer Mike and wife Regina
Faggart in their M-B 240D - all from NC.  Mike has had problems with back
firing in his 2L, so it did not make it and it was hard on him.  After a few
minutes a pink 2L started working its way around the infield - in the
distance we thought is was a MG (OK it was a LONG way off!!).  A beautiful
pink 2L pulled up and Chris jumped out.  His paint was perfect - now the
color was mmm different:-)   Walked around back and what did we SEE!!  MG
tail lights OOOGGG!!!  So, our previous observation was not far off!  To
Chris's defense it was a PO thing - as the paint.  Lots of hand shakes and
under-hood looking and a white Roadster is spotted come up the road.  At
this point we were afraid to call out "another Roadster" after the shock of
MG lights on a Roadster.  Up drove John Brassfield from AL in his 2L, opens
the door and falls to the ground.  Long drive on an old seat about did him
in - he was sitting on at cushion with the center cut out.  Now, I would
have stopped down the road and hid that!

We watch races and talk Roadsters the rest of the day.  There are some FAST
cars on the track and the sounds were great!  Thanks Chris for bringing
chicken - seems I did not bring anything and all others had beer - thanks
guys!  After the races we head back to the motel -thanks Chris for letting
me crash on the floor, more comfy then the tent.  On the way back we race up
the interstate passing each other at almost 100 MPH (5600RPM on Chris's
tach). It is sooo much fun to run with other Roadsters.  Rita was driving
their 1600 and stayed at 80 or so - next time she will give us a run for our
money!  And we HAD to pass Mike - that diesel smell!

After dinner we head to a bar to catch the game.  We parked in front of the
glass - have a beer, watch the game and look at great cars - life IS good!
Now, our pretty little waitress walks up and asks if those Datsun Roadsters
were ours.  Yes (big smiles).  "Well" she said "my boy friend has a 67 ½
2L".  Our mouths fall open.  Not a pleasing sight - beer running down our
chins!   She knows all about Roadsters and called her boyfriend which drove
his Roadster down so we could drool on the paint.  He showed up in a
beautiful red 2L!   He is about 19 or so and has spent a lot of time and
money restoring this Roadster sense '91.  One disappointment - it was a 1600
with a 2L motor, but very nice!  So, we have two new SEROC members!!!
Amazing how things work!  Thanks Rita for getting us back to the motel
safely - side effects of beer:-)

The next day we park in the Car Club area with a nice collection of Lotus
and Corvettes.  We get a lot of attention from lookers - always makes you
feel good!  Time for parade laps!!  This was an absolute blast!!!  We got in
about 6 laps.  Mike rode with me with a video camera and we did get in a
couple of corners at speed by backing off a bit from the Ford tank in front
of us.  Mike's great wife rode with John so even the NOROCers had fun.  We
would cook through the corners with Ben and Rita on our tail - damn that was
fun!!  We came back in and noticed another line going to the track forming -
so, out again we go!  This time Mike drives his M-B and sets the fastest lap
in a 240D - we think so anyway!  Chris and pretty wife Loretta are regulars
at RA and gave us pointers as they drifted "pinky" around the corners.

The only break was John lost a collector gasket (bolts and all) on the
track, so Mike drove him to the auto parts store while we set out looking at
all the wonderful old race cars - Can-am, Indy, NASCAR, even three or so
510s.  No Roadsters:-(  In a half an hour John's Roadster is quiet again (I
kind of liked the race car sound!).

We parted ways to head home with promises to do this again in the spring.
We all had a GREAT TIME!!!  Meeting fellow SEROCers/Roadster nuts is like
seen a long lost relative.  Life long friendships are made!

We will start posting pictures soon - I forgot the disk in the Roadster.
SEROC please add/make corrections if needed.  Thanks all that could make it!
If you did not get there - see you next time!!!

Phil - SEROCing it!!