Re: Door Kick Plates-I disagree

To: Michael Tarelka <mtarelka@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Door Kick Plates-I disagree
From: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:26:30 -0400
Bead or media blasting is the wrong way to go.  The problem with bead or
media blasting is that it inherently pits surfaces--hence the dull grey
look.  Bead blasting works great when the surface being blasted is much
harder than the blasting media, but it'll destroy the original surface of
softer metals, such as the soft aluminum door kickplate.

The door kick plates can be restored with a little elbow grease and a
succession of grits that remove oxidized aluminum and keep the surface
smooth.  Steel wool (#0000, very fine) or extremely fine sand paper, then a
little polishing with a paste aluminum polish and they're as good as new!

I just can't see the benefit of destroying the original surface of what was
originally bare polished metal only to resort to painting to "restore" the
original bare, polished metal look of the aluminum trim.  Just polish it
up!  As a bonus, instead of costing $100, it'll cost you as little as $1.50
for steel wool/aluminum polish and some valuable time caring for your roadster.

Alex Avery