Subject: Another one of Daniels crazy ideas....

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: Another one of Daniels crazy ideas....
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:34:42 -0700
Ref: The Rumble Roadster
Daniel, I like the way your mind works.  I am constantly surrounded (in
work) by those unable to see 'outside-the-box'.
This, The Rumble Roadster: the mental picture really made me smile, because
with a healthy bit of fab and immense number of man-hours, it is entirely
do-able.
a few things that spring to mind, read below:

<.....You would have to make
up new hinges for the trunk so that it would open from the oppisite side it
does now.  These would have to be pretty heavy duty and you would have to
reinforce the trunk lid and the wall of the trunk that you are mounting to>

The nearest 'big and strong, can't go wrong' structure is the two tongues of
the frame sticking backward. Stiffening the body enough for two people to do
all the clambering around getting in and out they'll be doing, will be
difficult at best.  (one of my buddies is 6' tall and 300+ lbs, and he helps
scoot himself into the passenger seat by grabbing on to the top of my
windshield, and I think he may be starting to flex the windshield, or I
might just be freaking out)
What you are building is a cantilevered balcony for two with a roadster
faceplate, kinda..?? (sounds like a Gene Kelly lyric)

Uh-oh, I just realized the Model T arrangement has the rumble-humans
weight/CG somewhere over the rear axle, therefore you may be building a
wheelie mobile.  This would be really cool but hard to drive on Lombard
Street or the road into that park in Solvang.  I think you'd have to add
turning brakes or a vertical rudder!!

Next up:  The Articulated Roadster!!  you've seen those Muni-buses with the
rubber joint in the middle.... well....

I'll shut up now.
Fergus O'Farrell
69 2000 (w/ no joints or balconies, not YET)