Distributor help

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor help
From: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:35:47 -0600
Hello List,

I need some help getting my distributor back where it belongs, I think.

I bought some new Beck Arnley ignition parts (Cap, Condensr, Rotor, and
Points).  Instead of installing everything
with the distributor in place, I decided to pull the distributor out.  When
I pulled it out, the little gear on the bottom
of the distributor shaft came out with it (is it supposed to or not?).  I
thought I was careful noting how I had pulled
it out, but I don't think I got it back in correctly.  I tightened the
distributor down (so I thought), but it wouldn't start
back up.  When I rechecked the distributor, it was loose, so I'm thinking
that I didn't have the gear and shaft
installed correctly, now I'm wondering if it could be way off???

Can someone explain to how to ensure that I have the gear & distributor
installed correctly.  I seem to remember
something about setting the engine to top-dead-center and then point the
rotor towards #1.  Is this correct?  How
do I know when the car is at top-dead-center?

Thank you...Robert - 67.5 1600 - Abq