Re: Adjusting the clutch?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Jason Simpson <jason@xio.com>
Subject: Re: Adjusting the clutch?
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:34:29 -0700
Not really. A lot of folks have false alarms, thinking that free play in
the pedal means the clutch needs replacing. Not always so.

1) Check the master clutch cylinder. Is the brake fluid clear and free of
contaminants? If it's dirty, it's likely that there's damage in the master
or slave or both. Remove the dirty fluid and replace it with clean fluid.
Use an eye dropper, turkey baster, or one of those baby nose suction tools.
Of course brake fluid is toxic so once used for this purpose keep the tool
in your toolbox.

2) Bleed your master and slave cylinders to get all the trapped air out, and to
bleed out all contaminants so you're left with clean brake fluid. If you have a
lot of brown gunk coming out of the slave, then you should remove it and do an
inspection. Most likely it will need to be replaced, as it may be rusted and
pitted inside.

3) Check the spring that is attaches to the clutch pedal inside the foot-well.
Make sure it is intact and strong, and not rusted and weak.

4) Now adjust the free play in the slave cylinder arm that goes to the throwout
bearing yoke. You'll need a flat-blade screwdriver, and a couple open wrenches.
Use the wrenches to loosen the locking nut, then use the screwdriver to adjust
the arm until you have about 1/8 inch free play or less in the arm.

Only after doing these procedures and having a good master/slave cylinder set
with clear bled fluid and adjusted free play, should you then evaluate whether
your clutch is bad.

Depending on the condition of the clutch, it will feel good as new, or it will
slip, or it will not disengage the trans from the engine. (Yeah-yeah, a bad
trans could prevent disengaging but we're talking clutch pedal stroke here.) If
the clutch still doesn't engage until the top of the pedal stroke, then it's
possible your clutch needs work. Either/both pressure plate and disc, and
throwout bearing, easiest just to replace all while the engine is out.

Hope this helps, Fred - So.SF
BADROC
P.S. If you want a strong clutch then buy the 2000 clutch set.