Re: ballast resis. more info

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ballast resis. more info
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 01:38:14 EST
In a message dated 10/31/00 3:01:53 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
datsunmike@nyc.rr.com writes:

> I do believe you are wrong on this one.

I'm not & you're not completely wrong either.

>The ballast resistor is used to cut
>  down the voltage when the resistor gets heated up. It reduces the voltage
so
>  the points don't burn,

The resistor gets heated up 'cause it is cutting down the voltage - you got
the cause & effect mixed up here. And yes... it is reducing the 12v down to
7.5 so the points are OK. The full 12v is for starting only. Go make some
toast - i'ts a big reisistor that gets really hot when you put 110v to it !

> hence electronic ignitions don't use resistors.

I'ts not because they don't have points - it's because most are designed to
utilize a full 12v. The typical GM HEI uses 12v. for example. Chrylser
products started putting elect ign in their cars in '72 -they still used an
external ballast resistor in their set-up as it had a lower voltage
requirement, even though points were absent.

>  On start up the resistor is bypassed.

YUP.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311