Cam degreeing (was Gas mileage)

To: "311" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam degreeing (was Gas mileage)
From: "Kyle W. Hagemann" <kwhcpa@addler.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:52:08 -0800
Hi again Roadsterites!

I've received lots of Email suggesting that my mpg needs
investigating.....

And I wonder (I wah-wah-wah-wah-wo-on-der...) about the
powerband of my '69 U20 SU.  It's all stock except for
the Pertronix and early distributor.

I seem to recall from my 1600 that the mechanical tachs
in these rascals are not necessarily to be believed.
That said, my 2000 seems VERY strong from idle to about
5,000RPM, peaking at about 4,000.  It's not much of a
peak, though.  Then it pretty much lays over and peters
out by 5,750.  It also does not idle-down very rapidly,
hanging at about 1,200 or so for a couple second before
dropping down to 1,000.  Ignition timing is about 16BTDC.

I'd always chalked it up to the big carbs on a big port
engine, but now I wonder.... the low RPM powerband...
could that be due to the cam being retarded/advanced?

When I put it back together, (never had timing cover off),
I set it to TDC, and lined up the cam per the picture in
the manual... I recall not being terribly pleased with
that part of the process, not as precise as the L series
cam timing indicator.

Can someone offer me some advice on checking out the cam
timing?

TIA-
Kyle
       ____         1972 Datsun 240Z: L28, 5sp, all poly
   _.;(____\____    1972 Buick Riviera: console, lowered
  |  _ |   |  _'@`, 1971 Datsun Pickup: LZ22/SU, 4 speed
  `-(#)------(#)-<  1969 Datsun 2000: FOR SALE $4,100/bo
   www.sonic.net/~kyle  www.sonic.net/~kyle/cars.html
"I don't know Ka-rate, but I know Ka-razy." -James Brown