Re: Gas Tank question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas Tank question
From: Daniel E McHatton <hallosb@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 21:24:21 -0700
I wouldn't modify your gas tank filler neck.  Your problem isn't keeping
the weather out of the gas tank.  It's a classic example of old gasoline
sitting too long in a gas tank.  The moisture (water) in the gasoline
sinks to the bottom of the tank and then the rusting starts.  If the tank
is not too far gone you can clean the tank and seal it with a plastic
coating.  I bought a kit from the Eastwood company to seal a tank in
another car and haven't had any problems with it in three years of
driving.

For those who haven't been told, never leave old gasoline in a gas tank.
The best thing to do is drain it.  For winter storage, you can get away
with a fuel stabilizer.  But long term, I'm not sure the fuel stabilizer
would even work.