Re: R 16 Cams

To: STAN CHERNOFF <az589@lafn.org>
Subject: Re: R 16 Cams
From: Thomas the Swede <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:53:17 +0100
You will also need the displacement angle/lobe center angle to compare
the different cams. Less lobe center makes more overlap and less power
at bottom end but more on top rpm. I have no experience with R & U
engines but many L series cams were ground on 109 degree lobe centers.
This made it possible to run a much duration and still have reasonable
low rpm driveability. With the same profile and duration but with 105
degree lobe centers the engine made a lot more power on top end but
a lot less on the lower rpm. Twin cam engines with variable valve timing
can have it both ways. It's used for both for emissions and max. power
depending on which cam is adjusted and at what rpm.

Thomas