Re: Synthetic oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Synthetic oil
From: SRL311guy@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:19:26 EST
Listers,
Here's my testimonial to Synthetics: 230,000 miles on my 97 4x4 Jeep Cherokee
4L six!

After break-in at 1st oil change, I changed to Mobil-1 everywhere...engine,
trans, diffs & transfer case (expensive but worth it). I change engine oil
yearly and filter every 6 mos. (the new quart puts some additives back in).
Started with 20-50 then changed to 10-40 a couple of years ago and seems to
run even better. I changed the trans fluid and rear diff lube at 100K & 200K.

After 230K, including 100s of trips over the Grapevine (SoCal to NoCal), some
towing and 4-wheeling, it still runs strong, doesn't burn oil, never had any
internal engine work done, no trans work, and has the original clutch pack in
the rear posi unit (amazing).

Oh, BTW once I ran the trans so dry it stopped on the street (a pan gasket
leak)...towed it to the dealer and they said it was probably fried but they
filled it back up (with Mobil-1 that I brought with me :-) and off I
went...no problem.

I've almost sold the Jeep about 5 times over the years but it just keeps
goingandgoingandgoing... so I keep it .

Now I use it in my Roadster too, although it's tougher to keep up after the
oil leaks.

Cheers,

Craig Carter
Fountain Valley, CA