Re: Stroked R16

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Stroked R16
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:00:30 -0800
Adam Bradley wrote:

> It seems the common choice for a stroked R16 is a slightly modified U20
> crankshaft - or is it the H20?  Which begs the question, if it can do a
> certain RPM in the U20, can the crankshaft do the same RPM in an R16?
>
> That is, is the limiting factor of our engine RPM the stroke or
> something else?

The limiting factor will most likely be the valve train. A pushrod valve train
does not offer the same rpm potential as an OHC would. But lots of other factors
have to be considered. Rod design and length, component weights, counter balance
efficiency, damper design and suitability, etc. Take a properly damped and
counterweighted crank and change the weights of the pistons and rods, and the
counterweighting and damper design will need to be changed to maintain optimum
effect.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT