2nd lesson learned

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: 2nd lesson learned
From: "roadster" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:39:14 -0800
Andrew spoke about the 1st lesson, when starting an SU roadster don't pump the
gas pedal.

Sunday I was late meeting up with Andrew, Leigh and Calspeed.  My '66 Loosie
wouldn't start up. No whomp, whomp coming from the starter, not even clicking
on the starter, nothing. It's been a while since I last started her up, so I
figure the battery is dead. Pushed the car outside, fetched the battery
charger from the toolshed, connected the charger to the battery on fast
charge.

Click, click, the engine was barely turning. What the heck? I pulled out that
most valuable tool, a tire iron and started whacking on the starter motor and
solenoid. No effect! Huh, is the starter completely dead? Then it hit me, as I
realized what was going on.

2nd lesson about when the car doesn't start, make sure the "juice" is getting
to the engine - check the cables! Yeh, the battery cables had some corrosion.
Unbolted them from the chassis and starter, cleaned them up, and put them
back. Turned the key and got a fast spin on the starter motor and the engine
came to life. Kinda embarassing as I pulled up to Calspeed's house and
explained being late, but our little roadsters know how to make life
interesting for us!

Fred - So.SF
BADROC