Re: metal polish -Steel Wool BAD!!! Bronze Wool GOOD!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: metal polish -Steel Wool BAD!!! Bronze Wool GOOD!!
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 00:15:30 EST
In a message dated 3/27/01 5:49:54 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Tomet9@aol.com writes:

> Quite frankly steel wool
> takes forever and a day so I used a 2in fine wire wheel in a drill and went
> at it. Used quick passes till the aluminum was nice and shiny.

Mark writing here:

  No,no,no,no,NO!  Don't use steel wool or a steel wire brush on aluminium!
Tiny fragments of steel will imbed themselves in the soft aluminium and
corrode at a later date leading to all manner of nasty orange rusty spots.
Especially in any part exposed to weather, moisture, any sort of humidity.
  As if that weren't enough, you can also get dissimilar metal corrosion - an
electrochemical reaction that will, in extreme cases cause the alum to return
to the bauxite from whence it came.

  At any decent hardware store you should be able to find bronze wool. This
will do as good a job on alu. as steel will but have many fewer problems.
Ditto bronze or brass wire brushes are available as well.

  The bronze stuff is more expensive, but not compared to having to find more
panels

Mark not
Laurie :-)
70 SPL311