Re: Re[2]: Engine Hoist

To: <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>,
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Engine Hoist
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:54:03 -0800
An engine stand is only good for doing complete overhauls, when you need to
turn the motor over continuiously.  For changing the clutch, I just lower
the hoist to allow the engine and transmission to sit on the ground then
unbolt them to seperate them, then rehoist the engine alone to put it on a
table to change the clutch.  And when you change the clutch, take the
Flywheel to a machine shop to let them reface it.  If you take the Clutch
Pressure Plate along, have them balance them together.  It may stop the
Exhaust Pipe from rattling against the frame.  It is just as important as
having your Brake Rotors cut.  And another extremely important item is the
Pilot bearing, that is inside the Flywheel.  It is usually a bronze bearing,
but in my Son's Mustang it is a ball bearing.  if it is dry, change it.  If
it still has grease in/on it, maybe you can get away with just putting
grease in it.  Pat