66 1600 for sale in Hampton Va, Inspection Report

To: datsunroadsters@onelist.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net,
Subject: 66 1600 for sale in Hampton Va, Inspection Report
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:40:03 EDT
For all:
An OROCer  let me know there was a roadster for sale in my neck of
the woods for $500, so I checked it out.  Here is a long itemized list
of the good and bad:
-No VIN plate under hood, may be with parts in trunk
-No headlight chrome pots
-No hubcaps
-Rotten bias ply tires, inspection slip in glovebox from 1982,
 may be last time on road...glovebox has perfect cardboard
-AM radio, with sideways numbers, maybe out of a high screen car
-2 fairly cool sideview mirrors, but are also painted black
-dash mounted rear view mirror is still there
-All glass and top in OK condition
-Interior in OK condition, no tears, looks like econo
 plain black vinal recover job on seats and door panels
 carpet and dash are OK also
-Rear window yellow
-All chrome painted black.  Bumpers have small dents bondoed over
-No side trim
-Body has small bondo patches in doors, behind doors, and
 around headlights, and in rear panel all from minor dents
-Car is remarkably RUST FREE though, and has little to no
 rust in the usual places, ie both front fender bottom rear
 bolts are still there, no bondo in rockers in front of
 rear wheels, floor boards are ok, although I would expect
 some pinholes once wire brushed.  Frame looks good.
 Trunk is nice and rust free, original jack still there.
-no 1600 emblems on side
-yes there is no owners manual
-vent wing knobs both broke
-steering box is good, idler arm is usable, very slight play,
 upper a-arm bushing are very bad, unsafe to drive
 could not check ball joints, car chained down tight on flatbed
-entire engine room has been stripped out in preps
 for some long forgotton restoration, parts in trunk
 including some new parts
 bare engine room in very nice unrestored shape
-rusty black front grill is perfectly dent free
-engine and tranny are there, "was known to run when
 taken out"
-engine number is R16507, I dont know if this is consistant
 with a 66, and without finding the VIN plate, no way of
 knowing if its a match.
-exhaust manifold is toast, but the stock exhaust is usable
-top mechanism rusty but all there, including 3 good latches
-carbs and rest of parts in trunk "very well used"
-I would expect the brakes to require the usual
 500 dollars or so of "TLC"
-Real metal DATSUN letters on hood all there
 (painted black also)
I evaluated the car as a good resto candidate for someone
with lots and lots of time and money, or could be
a good parts car, good body/frame for someone not
looking for a perfect dent free example.
He had to get rid of it by tomorrow, so I said if
no one else bought it to drop it off at my house
and I would give $250 for it.
Of course, he said there was a guy that would
be there any minute to pay $500 for it.....
We will see if it shows up in my driveway
tomorrow!!
If so, the first list member to give me $300
can have it (sure, I want my $50 finders fee)
But you have to come and take it away.
I will let the list know tomorow if it
shows up at my house or not
Best Regards,