Paint Report- OT

To: datsunroadsters@onelist.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint Report- OT
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 19:01:07 EDT
For all:
For years I have painted cars and always used old fashioned
acrylic enamel.  Today I painted my brother in laws
89 Merkur Scorpio, the second time I have used
base/clear.
Wow! What easy stuff to work with.  The base goes on
as easy as shooting primer, no runs or sags, put on
3 medium wet coats, and then the clear, also very easy
to work with, 3 medium coats of that as well.  The base
and the clear dry so fast that by the time your done shooting
the car, the paint is dry enough to start again.
So, for anyone out there doing the  garage paint
booth thing, I heartily recommend this stuff.
No runs, no drips, no orange peel.
Here are the particulars:
base:  Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000
clear:  Wester brand Refinishers Select
gun pressure: 40 for the base, 50 for the clear
                     (old fashioned environmentally unfriendly gun)
The paint guy recommended the Western brand clear because it dries much
faster than the SW product, so is good for the amateur as less
chance for dust to get in it.  I also like it because it cost less than
half as much.  Went with top quality SW base though.
One new trick I used, filled my one gallon sprayer with water
and spritzed water on the floor and overspray curtains after each coat
to keep down dust.  I think this helped a lot.
Cost for I gal ready to spray base, and one gallon clear/quart
catylist was $178.
Safety note: make sure you have an organic vapor
respirator and some sort of pretty good ventilation
scheme.
The only unfortunate thing about the day was I really wanted
to auto-X, but was rained out....
Best Regards,
Jim
Chesapeake Va