I had Keith Williams send me a set of new carb needles last week. Due to
reality getting in the way Friday (work) I was unable to get over to have
them installed by Bill Meyers. SO, I decided to try and do it myself.
Forearmed with all the Hitachi SU carb HOWTOs I could find (and some BMC
Carburettor stuff as well!), I put the needles in and made a long-overdue
attempt at carb balancing.
I must say, the ADQ needles really do make a difference! I still can't get
her to idle at less than 1500RPM without bouncing around, but the mid and
high end power is there, perhaps even a little smoother than before. I
checked #1 and #4 spark plugs and they are no longer sooty and black and it
doesn't smell like a refinery when I back up through the exhaust fumes. I
know I probably have something messed up, but it's running leaner. Maybe the
tach will not be racing the gas gauge anymore :)