Re: Carb return springs

To: "Ronnie Day" <ronday@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Carb return springs
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 16:23:52 -0500
Ronnie Day wrote

>Marc,
>
>Just took a look at the L-motor/SSS SU setup that I have and it has a spring
>on each carb, both off of the shaft that runs between the two carbs. I think
>this setup is different than on the R-16 in that the fuel bowls are outside
>the carbs rather than both being in the same relative position, and I don't
>remember if the R-16 uses the bellcrank/twisting mechanical linkage as
>opposed to a cable.

The R-16 has both carbs with float bowls on the left (as viewed from the
air cleaner side)  There is a linkage that uses 2 points on the intake
manifold as a pivot, and a little thumbscrew to adjust the closed
position already in place :-).  I haven't scoped out an ideal place on
the linkage for this remote return, but there look to be ample
opportunities for spring mounting.  My concern is that the snap-on
ball-links that go from the linkage to the carbs might  have a sloppy
enough fit to cause some (I don't know exactly what) problems.  Other
concerns are as you mention, jamming the butterflies closed, though that
seems like it could happen just as easily with the present setup.  My
hope is to relive the side-loading on the throttle shafts (as Gordon
mentioned)  Mainly though, it's armchair tinkering waiting for the temps
to fall below 100 deg  8^\

Marc T.

>I'd think you could fabricate some sort of an adjustable stop to keep from
>jamming the butterflies closed in the throats and then twisting the
>butterfly shaft against them. I THINK that's what you're trying to avoid, or
>am I missing something?
>
>Ron

Marc Tyler
Sisterdale TX