Re: Tirerack.com

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Tirerack.com
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 11:40:13 -0700
That's one of the reasons I "only" went up one size on my 280ZXT, from 15" to
16". That and I know that the car will perform better with the 16" than it will
with the 17". Sport Compact Car did a story a year or so ago and made a comment
that followed my personal experience pretty closely. They had a project car or
some such thing and of course to make their advertisers happy they put big tires
and wheels on it, I don't remember exactly what size but it was the new look 18"
or 19," I think. But then for the performance tests they admitted they had to
take those off and put smaller (15" I think) tires and wheels on because, for
all their "performance" look, the car did not perform as well with the big tires
and wheels. I've always been sort of conservative on wheel diameters. I think
15" is a max size for the Roadsters and 510s, and even the early Zs unless they
have been upgraded in the power and suspension areas. I like 16" for the 280ZXs
and some non street Zs. I know lots of folks will disagree, but I've yet to see
a car that got faster or handled better when changed to bigger wheels than that,
unless the change also incorporated an upgrade in tires. Usually all that
happens is the car gets harder to steer, tends to track irregularities in the
road surface more, and costs a lot more to keep in rubber. If the suspension
isn't designed for them, big tires simply push the suspension, and therefore the
car, around IMHO.