Re: Hoist

To: Robb Pynes <robbpynes@continet.com>,
Subject: Re: Hoist
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 08:26:37 -0500
>Robb Pynes

> I want to purchase an engine hoist.
>
> My car sits 6": off ground (stock springs)
>
> My buddy's car sits 5-1/2" off ground ( lowered front)
>
> I am looking for the kind that has a "Fork Lift Blade" type tine with small
> "roller pin" type casters at the end of each blade.
>
> I've used one like that in the past but don't know what type it was.
>
> The ones that I have found cheap $138.00 are 7-1/2" off ground with wheel
> casters on the bottom of a tube.
>
> Don't want to pull engine with car on jacks.
>
> Any ideas where I might find a picker of this type ??

I bought mine at Sam's (similar to Costco) for about $180. It has metal
wheels pinned inside the tube ends and I'd guess is around 4 1/2 inches at
the top of the tube. I wish these wheels swiveled like the casters on the
other end, but I can also see how that could make things a bit less
controllable, too. At some point I plan on modifying mine to swivel, along
with adding extra casters to the base.

If you need to raise your car slightly you can use one or two lengths of 2
by 6 or 2 by 8 lumber. If you need to stack two pieces, you can screw them
together with decking screws and put a bevel on one end. Each 2 by is
actually 1 1/2 inches thick, so using two raises a car 3 inches. Relatively
light, cheap ramps, and you can leave the jack and stands in the garage.

At a local O'Reilly's (auto supply) I've seen a Delco that's similar to mine
except that the legs come off and store on the base (mine fold up) and it
has four casters on the base rather than just two. Trust me, the extra
casters make the unit a LOT easier to move when it's folded. These things
are heavy and awkward. Harbor Freight and Northern Tools sometimes ship
free, so you might check them out, too.

Spend the money for a balance/tilt bar. It makes maneuvering all of that
mass much easier in a crowded engine compartment. Mine was $25 at Harbor
Freight.

FWIW, Ron

ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)