Fwd: Solex Carburettor Conversion

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Solex Carburettor Conversion
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:55:37 EDT
Hi List - glad everyone is back now !

I got this in my mailbox - maybe you folks w/ solexes can offer some advice.
Please reply to elmo@interlog.com

Thanks !  I shall be referring him to the list as well.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ
From: "Stewart Higgins" <elmo@interlog.com>
To: <spl311rdst@aol.com>
Subject: Solex Carburettor Conversion
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:16:10 -0400

Sir,

My name is Stewart Higgins and I own a 68 - 2000. If I may take up a bit of
your time, I have a few questions you may be able to answer as I see by your
website that you seem to have more than a passing interest in roadsters.

I have purchased a set of Solex Carburettors (new style) and manifold kit. I
wish to install them on my car, not for racing, but to have a new carburettion
system upon which to tinker & learn without the problems of old or rebuilt
SU's. The car is used as a daily driver on dry summer days (I live in
Toronto). I am asking these questions of several people as I recieve
conflicting opinions depending to whom I speak.

Q1: Do I need to install a "Solex" cam? Why or why not?

Q2: Do I need to change the jets for "normal" driving? To what?

Q3: What style of air filter works well?

Q4: Can my recently installeed "no smog" distributor be converted to a
mechanical advance? or,

Q4: Should I just buy a new distributor, and if so, what degree of mechanical
advance is appropriate?

Q5: My car has a gas overflow mechanism which recirculates to the tank. Should
it be retained, or can it be plugged?

Q6: Since I don't know what I don't know, what advise do you have, or what
mistakes have you made from which I can learn?

Thank You for your time and patience

Stewart

elmo@interlog.com