Distributor help needed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor help needed
From: RIckSRL@cs.com
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:21:06 EDT
I have a re-curved distributor and I need some information on the type and
orientation of the weight springs.
Are the weight springs the same? If not, where does the light one go in
relationship to the distributor cam? Or are they of the same thickness?
I'm ordering  both part numbers mentioned in a Tom Walter FAQ about
rebuilding distributors, but he doesn't mention what goes where, when or why.
Seems to me they should be both the same, but I noticed the big difference
between the 17.5 and 7.5 distributor cams was the length and the orientation
of the slots in the cams. Maybe the lighter spring allows for a quicker
advance and the heavier one kicks in at higher RPMs?
As always, thanks.

Rick Stayner
69 2000
Harrisburg, Pa