Re: New to list w/questions (a bit long) (reply even longer!)

To: giel@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New to list w/questions (a bit long) (reply even longer!)
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:51:48 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/01 12:10:36 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
giel@earthlink.net writes:

<snip>

> First, Should I feel unfortunate that my car has the
> original R engine (with an aluminum head)?  I have been
> reading on this list that all roadsters tend to overheat,
> and that the thermal expansion difference between the
> aluminum head and cast iron block creates all kinds of
> problems when (not if) it "overheats".

NO !!! - they don't overheat more than any other car out there - many have
been driven hard and not cared for properly in the past, that accounts for
much of the problem.  Education about these little cars is everything. One
thing I have noticed with the 1600 is that they don't get the cooling system
filled up properly - with the remote filler (not on the radiator) you need to
make sure the system is completely filled & "burped" .  ( If you think the
1600 roadster is a pain to fill - anyone remember the Pontiac Fiero ?!?!).
Also -  many new owners do not realize that the intake is water-heated and
will neglect the hoses going to the manifold. Knowing about simple stuff like
this will save a lot of heartache later. Changing your antifreeze regularly
will keep things from corroding and clogging up the radiator.

> of you mention "babying" your stock cars on the road.

Reliable ?? YES !!!  The roadster is one of the most reliable little sports
cars around. The engine is very sound and sturdy - provided regular
maintenance is done .( as with any car).  Nissan felt that a  variation of
the block was good enough for industrial use - that oughta tell ya something
! As far as the ancillaries - the SU copies actually STAY in tune ( as
opposed to the fiddly Brit versions - with which I have much experience) and
you never hear jokes about the electrical system ("why do the Japanese drink
warm beer ?!?!? LOL) Again - good maintenance & acceptance that your car IS
35 + years old and something WILL eventually go wrong.

<more snipping>
> Short of piston seizure or a blown head gasket, what defines
> "overheating" in the ":R" engine?   When should I be
> worried?  When should I pull off the road and read a good
> book, or risk losing the engine?

"Use the force Luke"   Use your eyes & ears - is your car starting to ping?
Sudden Lack of power? Heater heat go bye-bye? Smell of antifreeze ? Steam
rising out of places it shouldn't ? and yes- that guage - goiing up over the
halfway mark?   Becoming "one with the car" - driving it and knowing it's
quirks is gonna tell you way more than raw data from the gauges. Don't get so
absorbed in staring at numbers that you forget to actually drive the car!
The more the drive - the more you will be in tune and learn to read it's
moods.

> <snip>
> Strangely, I also read (in the same Chiltons manual): "When
> heater output is insufficient, the original equipment
> thermostat may be replaced with one having a higher
> temperature rating."

'stats typically come in 165*, 180* and 220*  You're not going to find much
more variety beyond that. 180-185* is the recommeded for the roadster.
Unless you live someplace REALLY cold (Siberia?) changing stat temp is not
gonna do much for ya. ( Sealing up the hardtop may make the heater seem more
efficient- conv tops are not known to keep the heat in the pass. compartment)

> What happens when you drive in arid zones like those found
> in California or out in Arizona?

AZ - I'm in the PHX area - it gets a little on the hot side here and I have
NO problems driving my stock 1600 around. I've been in stop and go traffic in
August at 4 in the afternoon, 115*+  and the car ran like a top. If anything
is gonna overheat a car - that'll do it. No cooling mods, stock rad, stock
fan. It works just like it was engineered to. Red line "water wetter" has
been recommended, but the bottle is still sitting on the shelf waiting for me
to put it in. I'm the wrong person to be telling that Roadsters have an
inherent overheating problem !

> What is everybody doing to keep things cooler and avoid the
> heat damage?  Bigger fans?  Bigger radiator (is there room?)
> or what?  I was hoping to keep things as original as
> possible on this car, but not if it means ruining it.

DRIVE IT !!!!  you're paying for all the good stuff in anti-freeze - drive it
and let it do it's magic to the water pump seals and spread it's
anti-corrosive properties throughout. The "drive it theory" also applies to
brakes and anything else with a working rubber seal.

> Finally, is there an archive of this list?

www.listquest.com - seach for datsun roadsters (warning - not updated like it
could be)

> You folks are really wonderful, and the enthusiasm you all
> display for your cars and each other is magnificent,

I'll second that - roadster folks are the friendliest, most helpful buch
around !

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC