Update: Valves

To: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Update: Valves
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:47:33 -1000
Tom:

I'm glad you didn't dignify  the referenced post with a reply.  When I sent the
msg.,
I was "flailing around" not knowing what the problem *really* was, (...and I
didn't
recall having to remove the water pump for a head removal, but Ross's
description of
the "valve regrind kit" containing a water pump gasket, led me astray.
Thankfully, I
didn't remove it.)

Anyhow, the head is off.  The good news is that my diagnosis was "dead on".  #1
Cyl.
exhaust valve has a triangular hole at the edge, about 3/16" on the sides -
almost
equilateral.  Very strange.

Now, I believe all I need to do, is get a replacement for that valve, and get
the
others reground.  Then have the seats replaced with stellite vice bronze, have
the
stem seals replaced.  Then back together.

Now, the strange thing is that there were two head gaskets installed!  I had
brought
that new head as "carry on" luggage, back from Seattle after purchasing it from
Rallye.  It WAS, in fact, new and in the box.  Now, why would Wally 's Auto
Repair,
Pearl City, have used two head gaskets?  Maybe they just had my old head shaved
and
kept the new one?  Guess I need to have it mic'ed to find out.  ...And should I
use 2
gaskets?

Curious.

Appreciate any reaction to the foregoing.  (Hey, there's no one on this island
talk Roadsters with :-).

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona