RE: [ClassicDatsunPickups] Making Progress - (please

To: "'Victor Laury'" <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [ClassicDatsunPickups] Making Progress - (please
From: "Robbie Harrison" <robbieharrison@home.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:33:41 -0500
Being partial to high-windshield roadsters, I'd be more interested in
pre-'71 than pre-'68. I went to the SEMA web-page at www.sema.org to see
what it was, and it looks like a pretty good outfit, lobbying for all kinds
of automotive legislation. There is no charge for a club to sign up. A
contact is required. They have a newsletter, but I couldn't find anything
specific about printed version. It is available via email, and archived on
the site. This list has often been referred to as a club. The term "council"
shows up on the membership application, with a box for "# of clubs
represented", and maybe that is a better description of the list - a
"council" uniting the dozen or so ROCs that keep the list happening.

As to services, we have the best vendors you could hope for. They keep the
supply lines open, and make repro parts when originals are gone, if there is
enough interest to at least make it a break-even proposition (heck, I bet
they lose on some of it). Even members that are not full-fledged vendors get
into the act, like Daniel Beatty with his electronic distributors and Tom
Walter with his ACS donation auction. I really doubt "bulk" purchasing is
gonna happen - there simply are not enough roadsters left. This list is the
best tech resource you could ask for - just check the last few days of
posts!

SEMA looks like a group that might be able to help the CA folks get their
black plates, and keep a watch on emission regs and other dirty tricks
politicians may pull that are not in our best interest as owners of classic
cars.

All that said, anybody want to take another run at organizing an official
"club" or "council"? It's been talked about several times, and usually fades
after a couple of weeks - it's a whole lot easier just to be part of the
list.

Robbie Harrison
'68 SRL311-04682
'69 SRL311-09503