distributor question

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: distributor question
From: "Dave Mehl" <waterback@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 06:50:38 -0800
Hello again,

The other day, I stopped in to visit a friend who has a 68 - 2000. I needed
to look at his throttle return springs to help identify which in my spare
parts box were correct for my car. While looking at his engine I discovered
that his #1 spark plug wire was in a different location (180 deg. off) on
the distributor from mine. (I have just rebuilt my engine and did the proper
timing setup on it.) His engine has about 5000 mi. on a complete rebuild and
has been running pretty well set up this way. It does foul plugs #2 & #3 and
he has to clean them often. His mechanic told him that the rings on these
two cylinders hadn't seated properly and this was the cause. Is it possible
that his timing is off just enough to cause this problem? The shop manual
didn't mention any difference between the 68 & 69 U-20 engines in this
regard. I can reset his timing to the correct position but it seems to run
pretty good for him. Sooo... Do I  fix it, even if it ain't broke?

Thanx again for all the help,

Dave
SRL311-10444
NOWROC