Re: Advice

To: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Subject: Re: Advice
From: Joe Rubio <joe@venuesports.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:09:12 -0800
Well the DMV in SLO is a completely different experience than I'm sure
most big city dewellers experience.  In fact my dad lives in San Jose
and drives down here to do anything DMV.  It takes him less time to
drive here and back (3 hours each way), go to lunch on me and do his DMV
thing than sit in Santa Clara and wait in line.  Anyways, I'm back.  It
took all of 10 minutes, well 15 minutes total.  5 minutes to get there
and back.  Absolutely nobody in the registration line when I got there
at 9:05 AM.

Here's what the lady asked me:

Do you have the pink slip?  Yes, but the registration was never
transferred over to me.

Do you have the original plates?  No

What year is the car?  a 1970.

Good, the car will not require a smog.

She then handed me an application for title as the car was not in the
computer any longer seeing as it hasn't been registered or had non-op
fees paid in 11 years. The form asked for my name, address, CDL #,
title/lien holder, purchase price, odometer reading and signature.  I
provided my personal info, a purchase price of $250 and an odometer
reading of 38211.

She then ran the info and came up with:  $205.00

I didn't have my checkbook so I'll go back and pay this once the car is
running, but once I pay this I have 2 options to get the tags.  I can
obtain a 1 day moving permit whereby I can legally drive the beast down
to the DMV and have them confirm the VIN number and then they will issue
new plates and reg tags or the DMV can provide me with a document that I
have a sherriff or police officer fill out that confirms the same info.

So short story long, $205 and confirmation of the VIN # and I'm ready to
roll.  Much easier than I had hoped for.  Solvang is looking solid.  I'm
ordering some parts...Joe

Gary McCormick wrote:

> Joe -
>
> Make sure and post a description of how things go at the DMV - I'll be facing
>the same
> process when it comes time to get my bad boy out of the garage!
>
> Gary McCormick
> '70 2000 SRL311-13291
> Garaged since 1990 (thinking of getting a "Datsun Roadster - Only Parking"
>sign) ;^)
>
> Joe Rubio wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> > Thanks.  I'm gonna order me up a hood harness, freeze plugs, valve cover
> > nuts and a coolant/H20 fitting for the intake manifold after I make my
> > way to the DMV this AM and figure out how to get it registered again
> > after sitting in non-op mode for 11+ years.
> >
> > Thanks!  Joe

///
///