RE: HELP! The plug is STUCK

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: HELP! The plug is STUCK
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:32:16 -0800
Ouch, that's a nasty one! I've learned to always check the fill plug first
before draining the oil, and I learned it the same you you did. I was fortunate
enough to have the car up on a rack at the time and used a very large Crescent
wrench and a medium hammer to loosen the fill plug.

A desperate approach might be to (VERY CAREFULLY) use a propane torch to heat
the tranny case around the plug. The idea is that the aluminum case will expand
more than the steel plug. Just don't light the tunnel on fire.

When you reinstall it, wrap some teflon tape around both the drain plug and the
fill plug. Electrolysis takes place between steel and aluminum and tends to weld
things in place (like the infamous 1600 filler neck), although it sounds like
the gorilla at the lube shop probably just did a few chin-ups on the wrench.

This is one more reason why I will never use one of those Jiffy Lube type
places.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA

///