FAB FALL FUN RUN (long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: FAB FALL FUN RUN (long)
From: "Brad Holmes" <bholmes@monk.aum.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:24:47 +600
Hey Listers and SEROCers that we don't have email addresses for!

Just wanted to give you an update on the
"First Annual Ray Hutchinson Memorial Fabulous Fall Fun Run"

Pam Lewis, we thought about you and Ray all day. You were in our
hearts and minds as we enjoyed the drive and fellowship. What a
Fabulous day!

We met at the Oxford Lake and Civic Center Alabama at 10:am just off
rt 20 and chatted, put the tops down, took a few pics of our first
covered bridge (Coldwater) and visited until about 10:40 am then
blasted off. We only had 4 cars attend the run, John Brasfield in his
68 - 2k, White (outside) and burgundy (top and interior), Phil Hall
in his Bonzi Red 66 - 1600, Alan Johnston   (The Grey Ghost) in his
really classy 66 - E Type Jag, and Brad and Gayle Holmes in
"Thundermouse" a 68 - 2k, Solex, red of course.

We left the busy big city hustle and bustle of Oxford and headed for
the hills. First stop, a breath taking overlook just off rt 281
looking north. the leaves have just about all changed and with our
lack of rain in Alabama the color was almost all golden brown with a
blend of green pine. Visibility had to be 10 to 15 miles with a
virtual cloudless deep blue sky. Temp was in the low 70s.
YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA. as Phil would say. (pronounced; YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA)

About 5 miles later and great twisty turney, uppy, downy virtually
clear roads lead us to another equally breathtaking overlook. From
there a run to the summit of Mt Cheaha at 2,407' (highest point in
AL).

We arrived at the Cheaha State Park at 11:25 and went right to the
restaurant. Hey Phil, how many animal crackers do you get to the mile?
The restaurant also has a spectacular view of the valley from the
dining room that just served to enhance the great food and talk over
lunch.

Next we drove to the Bald Rock Overlook and our little band of 5
walked the 1/4 mile to the overlook. WOW!!! what a view. Blue skys,
fresh air, full tummy, good company, (now I know how Frodo felt)
green and gold landscape rolled away from the summit as far as the
eye could see.

Back in our little attention getters, and down the mountain, over the
river and through the woods to the next stop, Waldo covered bridge.
Gayle gave us the history and high points then many pics and
skipping stones in the river. Alan has a wicked skipping throw. Mine
skipped from the top of the water to the bottom of the river. Oh
well, skipping stones is highly overrated anyway. Just ask anyone who
can't do it. Sigh........

The next and last stop was at Kymulga Grist Mill, covered bridge and
park. The grist mill still operates and the surrounding grounds are
really neat. The spillway has an unusual pulsating rhythm as the
water flows over the edge of the spillway. Hmmmmmm...... How do they
do that? So as the golden fall sun washed across the river and
spillway then slipped into the now cooling late afternoon sky, we
said our good byes. As we headed off into the sunset, tops down, we
once again remembered Ray, a really special roadster kind of guy.
This RUNs for you.....and Pam.

Pictures to come....

It was a super day, thanks to all. See ya next time.

Brad Holmes
68 - 2k, Solex
SEROC
MT, AL