Re: 350Z: awful or artful

To: "Alan Bent" <ajb@squirrel.com.au>, "Alex Avery" <aavery@rica.net>
Subject: Re: 350Z: awful or artful
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:30:49 -0500
Alan,

Nissan is producing a car the majority of the people in the world want. They
want a sports car that doesn't beat them to death when going on trips and
other amenities like ABS, a/c, airbags, cc, pw, pm, ps and a host of other
things.

The only car I know made that suits your vision of what a sports car is is
the Lotus Elise and it's not widely available or allowed to be imported into
the US. A series 1 Miata base car is about as close as it gets for a mass
produced car to be a sports car in your eyes.

For those who want a "true" sports car as you define it, is to buy a kit car
like a knock off of a Lotus 7 but that car is not very practicle except for
short trips as there's no room for luggage and the like and it's weather
protection leaves much to be desired.

By the end of the 60s people were fed up with noisy, draughty, leaking,
difficult to erect convertibles (except for Alfas and Fiats) which is one of
the reasons the 240 was so successful. It was light - 2400lbs,  fairly quick
for its time, affordable, reliable and handled well. What happened to the Z
as time rolled on was terrible and it soon became a boulevardier rather than
a sports car.

It's 2002 and technology and peoples tastes change. I bet that new Z will
out perform any car from the 60s, well almost any car. And while the pure
visceral experience may have been dulled somewhat as compared to 60s sports
cars, I'll take the dullness rather than have to put up with what we put up
with in 60s cars.

While I love my Roadster I also like more refinement when I drive a car
day-in-day-out and on long trips. Maybe I've gotten soft in my older age but
I don't think I'd want to go buy a new car with a 60s feel. I think the
definition of "sports car" has evolved over the course of the years to
reflect technology and comfort evolution. I expect more and I think so do
others.

Mike