Aluminum Flywheels

To: "Bill Strohm" <wstrohm@socal.rr.com>,
Subject: Aluminum Flywheels
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:28:57 -0500
Last weekend I went back to the shop which is rebuilding my engine and on
the floor were a turbo Mitsubishi engine and a supercharged Honda engine.
Both were using aluminum flywheels and the flywheels exploded from wear of
the flywheel bolt holes which caused them to go off center and placed
exceptional stress on them which caused them to disintegrate. Needless to
say the crank was not the only part which was severely damaged.

If you intend to use an aluminum flywheel on the street have a machine shop
put steel inserts on the flywheel bolt holes and as the shop suggested flat
washers and locktite.

Mike