Re: SOLVANG from Sacramento??

To: Mark Sedlack <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Subject: Re: SOLVANG from Sacramento??
From: Joe Rubio <joe@venuesports.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 12:21:13 -0800
Mark,

I live in San Luis Obispo, which is one hour North of Solvang on 101.
>From my house to downtown Sacramento is 5 hours. Depending on where in
Sacramento you're coming from it could add as much as another hour (ie
Rocklin or Placeville).  The route I usually take from here is 101
north, 46 east, 5 north.  I generally drive 70 on 101 and 75-80 on 5.
46 is another matter.  If you can hit an average of 60 on that, consider
it a good day.  2 lanes nearly the entire way, plus a road known locally
as the James Dean memorial freeway, so dangerous as well.  I'd advise
not trying to go from Sacramento through Stockton and then try to head
through the Bay Area.  Friday traffic is deadly and if you hit it wrong,
it could take you 4-5 hours just sitting in a slightly moving parking
lot hoping to get to Gilroy, which is another 2.5 hours from San Luis
Obispo.

For those without any time schedules and coming from Sacramento, it may
be a good idea to go 152 through Gilroy, then head on into Salinas on
101 and continue through Monterey and hit Highway 1/Big Sur.  Stop at
Nepenthe for a burger, then continue on into Cambria, Cayucos, Morro
Bay, San Luis Obispo and catch 101 up to Solvang.  Very out of the way
route, but scenic as heck.

Now you would think a guy this close to the show would be there.
Unfortunately I am coaching at the local community college and we have
conference finals that day.  I've gone 3 times to the Solvang show and
not had the Roadster running.  Looks like it will now be in operation
for the show, but I can't attend.  Bummer, but given a choice I'll take
a running 2000 instead of salivating over everyone else's car.

Hope everyone has a great time.

Joe