Re: Windy!

To: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Windy!
From: "C. Halsted" <chalsted@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 08:34:31 -0500
The storm in NY Mike is mentioning came about 2 miles from my house on the
way through. straight line winds you can't hardly imagine, went for miles.
basically knocked down or tore up anything in it's path. a whole development
on top of a hill about 6 miles away from me in Mechanicville was basically
reduced to matchsticks. when you drive out rte 67 from rte 9 toward
Mechanicville you can still see a tremendous number of trees horizontal
instead of standing up. especially visible in the winter with some snow for
contrast. glad you're OK, Marc.  having made it through that, when the
aftermath of hurricane Floyd came through, a 70 foot pine tree came down
across the hood of my pickup, also crushing the roof of my next door
neighbor's Contour they'd had for about a week. seeing what happened with my
tree, my brother a half mile away had a tree guy come over to take out one
huge old pine on the edge of his yard. they cut it to about a 35' height,
was close to 3' across. then they proceeded to drop it on his house and did
12k damage. go figure. he'd just been watching out the window with his
granddaughter in his arms and had just walked out of the room when the tree
took out the wall and part of the ceiling of the room.

Craig