Re: Lowering Front End (long, maybe boring)

To: "Ronnie Day" <ronday@attbi.com>,
Subject: Re: Lowering Front End (long, maybe boring)
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:38:56 -0500
I agree with Ron all his points.
Our 77 280Z with a SBC 350 / T5 is lowered about 1-1/2".  I used progressive
wound springs and gas strut carts. as well as PU bushings all around.  I had
to modify the the front cross member moving the lower control arm pivot
points up .75 and out .25" to maintain effective steering geometry and to
reduce the inherent bump-steer of the Z chassis.  Had to fabricate some
camber adjustment plates for the top of the strut towers front and rear with
slots to allow enough camber adjustment to get it back to where it needed to
be.

Changed the rear springs twice, once using the two that came with the set,
the second with slightly higher rate, custom wound locally to accomodate the
extra weight of the rear-relocated battery and the roll-bar.  Suspension
tuning is a fit and test proposition.  Luckily with the 350 set back 3.5",
offset to the passenger side .75" and fitted with alum. intake, headers, and
other lighte weight parts, the Z has a weight balance as good as stock,
maybe even a tad rear heavy.  The local alignment shop is run by a guy who
races SCCA, so he did a great job doing the final set-up.

With the car as low as it is, and having a BRE "spook", I've had to patch
the glass at least 3 times since the car hit the road - mostly due to uneven
driveway aprons.....

Roadster content - the "R" is coming along - real close to final
engine/tranny fit then will be on to header / exhaust fabrication.  Should
have new pics up later this week.
Mark Sedlack
OROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH