Type 53 Battery Mystery solved

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Type 53 Battery Mystery solved
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:16:01 EST
Paul Bauman sent me a pix of his battery set up in his car, and it was a Type
53 with the terminals outboard (close to the side of the car), not inboard
where newer roadster batteries have their terminals.

I then found my original service manual from my 1600 and sure enough, the photo
of the engine compartment shows the terminals outboard.  So there was never a
53R battery, and the type 53 (corvair and forklift) battery is the correct
application, with the terminals outboard so the positive lead is in the back.

There are at least two manufacturers who make a 53 batters, Interstate among
them.

There is a slightly smaller type 51 and 51R also available that should work,
but the 53 apparently was the original at least in the 1966 I have.  The 53 is
4.7 X 13 X 8.3 high,  the 51 is 5 x 9 x 8.8

Gary C