fuel problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel problem
From: bill <wschaibe@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:54:33 -0800
I think my first attempt at answering this went only to Moon.  So here
is another try to the list.  I think my idea is worth a first try as it
doesn't cost anything.  I also want to emphacize that this has worked
for me on numerous occassions, not just on the Solvang trip, so I don't
think it is coincidence.  Dennis also told me I could just bypass the
resister if necessary.

I have had this problem from time to time with my 1600.  I think your
problem may
be electrical rather than fuel.  I have been able to solve the problem
by
jiggling several electrical connections.  The ones that seem to make the

difference are the connections on a rectangular white gizmo (parts
catalogue
calls it a "register - ignition coil", should this be resister?) mounted
on the
far right side of the fire wall.  The connectors must have corroded in
time and
every once in a while I need to disconnect and reconnect them.  Why I
haven't got
around to replacing the connectors, I don't know.  Just for fun, I do
the same
with any other connectors I see (like the wire that connects to the
distributor).  So far this has worked every time I've had the problems
you
describe.

Last year I was driving up to Solvang with my wife.  She thought I was
crazy to
go in the Roadster which had been having its problems, but I insisted.
We were
on the freeway, not more than 5 miles from home, when I lost all power.
coasted down the nearest off ramp, opened up the hood, jiggled my wires
and got
started back up.  My wife said "we're going back to get the other car,
right?"  I
said nope, I'm going for it.  We didn't have any more problems (of that
type
anyway) on the rest of the trip.

Bill
70 1600