Re: Steering Box -- Redline's final answer

To: Geegc@aol.com
Subject: Re: Steering Box -- Redline's final answer
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:38:13 -0800
Yeah, the thing about the MT series of lubricants is they are designed
specifically for manual transmissions (hence the MT;-). They created an oil
that, while still offering the superior lubrication of a synthetic, offers
better synchro operation. They did this by messing with the lubricant's
coefficient of friction. Synchros are like little clutches whose job it is to
match gear speeds to shaft speeds and allow for easy shifting. If the oil is too
"slippery" the clutches will not work quickly enough and you will have shifting
problems, especially if you shift quickly. No point having MTL/MT90 in an
application where there are no syncrhos. The stuff might work well in an LSD
diff, where there are clutches, but for that application I'd rather use their
ShockProof gear oil. It is also amazing stuff made just for hard used diffs,
especially those with LSDs. If you want a thinner gear oil for you diff, they
also make gear oils both with and without friction modifiers for both open and
LSd type diffs. BUt for the steering box I'd use the 75W90 or the 75W90NS. BTW
my experience is that you are best to break in a rebuilt gearbox with dynojuice
and after the synchros have bedded in, then switch to MTL/MT90, at least this
was my experience with the MTL over the years. Last time I tried to break in a
gearbox on the MTL we had it in the box for 4-5 months and it was still shifting
badly. We ran dynojuice in it for one week and the synchros bedded in just fine.
Converted it to MTL the next week and it worked even better. That was a good 10
years ago and I have never had that problem since because I always break in a
box on dynojuice then convert it to Red Line. I've never tried to break a box in
on MT90 because by the time the MT90 came out I had already figured out not to
break in a box on Red Line. You may not have this problem with the MT90, but
I'll bet you do.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT