timing - continued...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing - continued...
From: "Moon Lockwood" <moon@sasquatch.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 22:12:03 -0800
Hi All,

  Thanks everyone for all of the information about distributors, very
interesting stuff.  I have not checked mine yet, I plan on doing so tomorrow
and setting the timing properly.  I was curious where it has been, and I
finally was able to see the marks with a timing gun yesterday.  I was
originally looking in the wrong place!  They were 6-7 inches below the tab on
the engine, where I expected to see them.  It looked almost like a 1/4 turn
out of place.  I was wondering if I put the timing gun clamp on the wrong lead
because the mark was so far from the top.  I had a few questions...  I used
the frontmost sparkplug lead - is that correct? Also, what might cause the
timing marks to appear closer to 8 o'clock than around 11, where there is a
marking on the engine?  What would the timing be, ballpark, if the biggest
mark(TDC I am assuming) appears closer to 8 or 9 o'clock than 12 when checked
with a strobe? It runs fine, but I don't want to drive it 'til I get it timed
(and take care of all the other things that need attention).

Thanks for everything,
This list is an amazing resource,
Moon

'69 2000