Re: Urethane rear panel shape

To: "mtyler" <mtyler@hctc.net>
Subject: Re: Urethane rear panel shape
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:41:03 -0500
Marc,

The foam will be used as a buck for a mold.  Once I've got the final form
carved, I'll brush a coat of epoxy laminating resin over it, then sand,
prime, sand, prime....wax, PVA then lay-up the mold.

I've decided not to use the oval lights - instead, once the mold is made,
I'm going to press into it some 1/8" thick pattern makers sheet wax cut and
shaped to create recessed pockets at the corners,  where the stock lights
were located, for my tail light lenses and a license plate cover.  Then I'll
lay-up the cap, using cloth and epoxy resin.

When I remove the cap, the wax'll come out with it, and I'll have a smooth
mold again.  I'll then vaccum form ( great having good toys isn't it? )
some polycarb or acrylic into the mold to form clear, contoured tailight
lenses and a curved cover for the license plate that will fit the recesses
in the cap.  Under the taillight covers / lenses on each side will be two
round LED tailights in the stock locations.  Gonna do my own PCB's with the
red LED's placed in a circular arry, with a high output blue one in the
center :->  Sort of a custom Altezza look for a 66...

Mark Sedlack
OROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://home.neo.rr.com/mark2000/images/datsun1600/