tow dolly

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: tow dolly
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:10:50 -0600
I towed my 5 speed roadster for several 200-400 mile trips with no damage
and without removing the drive shaft.  If you stop every 100 miles or so and
start the engine you lubricate the transmission naturally, so stop a few
more times on your journey and things will be fine. I never even did that,
but you might be more nervous than I am.  The roadster driveshaft can be
fastened under the car to keep it in the tailshaft and not leak, or you can
make a plug from an old driveshaft and wire it to the tailshaft.  Dollies
come in different widths, so you need to shop for one that will fit your
wheelbase.  If you drive on a lot of tollroads, you might consider a single
axle trailer to keep from paying tolls on an extra axle.  Also, dollies WILL
NOT BACK UP!  I have had to take my car loose, disconnect, and reload two or
three times when I accidentally found a "no outlet" road, another reason to
keep the driveshaft in place.

Leisure Suit Terry