RE: Tow Dolly WARNING (long)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tow Dolly WARNING (long)
From: "Andrew Jacobs" <legal-z@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:59:35 -0500
DO NOT, put your car on the tow dolly backwards (i.e. front wheels
rolling, rear wheels on the dolly) unless you have a rear engined car.
i learned this the hard way by towing my 71 240z that way because it
had a broken half shaft in the rear and i was too lazy to pull it
before towing.  the problem comes in with the weight of the motor
being so far behind the dolly.  any movement of the vehicle in
anything other than a perfectly straight line causes a pendulum effect
on the vehicle being towed as it will sway back and forth, pulling the
dolly and possibly the tow vehicle with it.  the same happens when you
decelerate, even by just lifting off the gas as the tow vehicle slows
at a greater rate than the vehicle being towed.  anyway, i found this
out on my own without doing any damage to my car.  however, i nearly
damaged my boxers when the car started to move around.  just a word of
warning.
andy
69 2000
71 240z