Re: OT (non-Datsun, American car question)

To: ghare@bellsouth.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT (non-Datsun, American car question)
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:18:04 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/02 7:18:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ghare@bellsouth.net writes:

> My brother has his eye on  a Chevelle w / blown motor & trans but great body
> & interior (or so he says) SOOO....
>
> Looking for a place that sells new Chevy small block, or very high quality
> (not RACING quality) rebuilds. Similar tranny info helpful too. My local
> chevy dealer pricing is just not acceptable, and I don't think I feel like
> an Auto Zone rebuilt engine or used - if I got to help put it in, I don't
> want to do it again.

What yr Chevelle/ which engine (orig) ?  they did have several to choose
from.(meaning - all small chev blocks are not alike!) Make sure that your
engine will work as a core if you "upgrade" ( say a 307 to a 4-bolt main 350
f'instance)  Rebuilding and engine can be cheap & fun if it's something
simple like a re-ring & bearing job. But if you want turn-key what I would do
is go around to your local  auto parts places and get prices and make sure
you find out WHICH rebuilder - you may find that your local NAPA uses the
same as the local PepBoys/ Auto zone.  Parts stores usually use the same
regional resources. Sometimes you can go direct to the rebuilders - may or
may not save a $$ as they usually do contracts w/ the large chains.

Make sure to ask what is included - many won't include ancillaries like water
pump - some will, but is cheaper to buy your own. Also get the fine print on
the warranty- a 7/70 sounds great, but may have more "hoops" to jump through
if you do have a problem, or will charge more $ later if you do need
replacement. (pro-ration). Also,  Keep in mind any future mods you may be
doing - uprated manifold/carbs etc - your engine choice might factor into
this.

Also - yrs ago the Chev dealers *used* to do a reasonable priced "Mr
Goodwrench" - NEW enigne that was competitively priced w/ rebuilds - since
the v8 has gone out of style they may or may not still be doing this. I'd
shop dealers to see if this is still available.

You may want to find a local hot-rod meet to inquire about rebuilders in your
area- especially for the tranny.

If this is going to be a daily driver that he's gonna keep, you may want to
go with a later TPI engine from the wrecking yard ( did this on a '68 - late
80's IROC 350) It's a bit more $ up front, but you will be VERY happy when
all is done !

Laurie :-)
( all the chevelle parts are FINALLY outta my hair ! )
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ