solvang

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: solvang
From: bill <wschaibe@ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 23:51:50 -0700
In that I will be approaching Solvang from the south, I haven't paid
that much attention to how the northerners are coming.  Last year, after
Solvang, I drove up 1 to the Bay Area and then headed back south on 101
to 25 to east on 198 to Coalinga.  What a drive!  Windy, brand new
pavement and no traffic!  From there I went south on 33 to east on 41 to
the intersection where James Dean was killed at 46.  A lot of traffic
but then went south again on Bitterwater Road which was shared almost
soley with some cattle.  This road didn't even have any striping.  Then
to 58 east to Soda Lake Road south back to 33.  This road included about
20 miles of dirt road which we shared with prong horn antelope.  Kept on
going south into Ojai but it looks like one could take 166 back to 101
north of Solvang.

This drive was incredibly beautiful!  I am a native Californian who has
lived in the Bay Area and Southern California but never knew this
beautiful route existed.  Always drove 1 (not too shabby), 101 or 5.
People ought to consider this either coming or going.  One word of
warning, the dirt portion by Soda Lake is posted that if it is wet you
probably won't make it through and if you get stuck you could be stuck
for some time before anyone would be able to get in to get you out.  It
was dry last year and wasn't bad at 35-40 mph.

Beautiful scenery and great Roadster driving!  If you think California
is overpopulated try this route.

Bill
San Diego