RE: Tuning question, God I hope it's a tuning question!!!

To: "Ken Pearce" <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Tuning question, God I hope it's a tuning question!!!
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:58:53 -0400
That sounds cam timing related.  If it wasn't spiting out of the carbs
before and you didn't change anything there....
It's not hard to double-check you cam timing with an SU cam.  You need to
set the valve lash on both the number 1 intake and exhaust to .010
thousands.  Put a dial indicator on the number 1 intake valve retainer (that
can be a little tricky - I made a little mounting plate for the dial
indicator base from angle iron that can be bolted to a manifold stud).  If
you don't have a dial indicator you may be able to rent one if you can't
borrow.  The intake opens at 18 degrees BTDC so if all is well as you turn
the engine over by hand you will see the dial indicator start to move (stop
turning the engine the instant is moves) and the timing pointer on the chain
cover should be at 18 BTDC.  You can move the indicator to the exhaust valve
and continue turning.  The exhaust closes at 18 degrees ATDC.  One tooth off
on the chain will make these events occur 20 or more degrees from where they
should.
Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/