RE: Tuning question, God I hope it's a tuning question!!! IT

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tuning question, God I hope it's a tuning question!!! IT
From: "Ken Pearce" <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:52:34 -0500
Thanks to all who responded to my "tuning question".

It appears to have been my valve clearance settings were WAY too big.

I can't say definitively what the problem was, because I changed too many
variables in an effort to find a fix.  I had purchased a new "A" cam so I
decided that while I was adjusting the valves, I might as well install the
new cam.  Having never done this I was initially intimidated, after having
done this now, it was a piece-o-cake.

Is there a recommended setting for U-20 valve adjustments COLD?  I can only
find numbers for hot, and if I can't get the engine to run, therein lies the
chicken and the egg problem.  I set them cold to .018 and .010, exhaust and
intake respectively.  I checked them hot and they didn't seem to have
changed that much.

Anyway, after changing the cam, adjusting the valves, checking my points
gap, resetting my timing to 17 deg., and doing the SU carb adjustment dance,
IT RUNS!!!  And it pulls HARD!  :)  Woo Hoo!  Went for my first ride
lastnight since last October, top down, froze my ass off and loved every
minute of it.

Thanks again,

Ken Pearce 68-2000
Bellingham, WA