Firewall Brace Link

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Firewall Brace Link
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 21:42:20 EDT
Some have wanted to see how I did the firewall braces for my 66.

Go to the link that should show up in a separate e-mail from OFotoNow, and it
will be apparent what I did.  For the supports I first made a model out of
thin scrap aluminum.  See the picture of the one I still have.  Then I went
to home depot to buy pieces of construction galvanized steel that would allow
me to cut out pieces that fit the models.  I made sure to get a bend on one
side of each piece for torsional rigidity.

The toughest part is cutting the galvanized, as the steel is thick and the
large holes are a challenge, I used a jig saw and drill to do the cutting.

There is no glue or welding involved, although a layer of silicone wouldn't
hurt.  The pressure of the bolts thru the brake and clutch cylinders is
enough to stiffen everything up.

Gary C