Re: ot: glas

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ot: glas
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 18:18:34 +0200
Hans Glas GmbH was the manufacturer of the Glas automobiles
and BMW bought the company in the end of 1966 when they
got serious financial problems. Toyota were also interested to
buy the company. The Glas engine was the first with a cam
belt that other copied and the car also had some other neat
features. The body on the GT was designed by Pietro Frua in
1962. The bodypanels were pressed by Litta in Italy and
assembled by Maggiora in Torino. The unpainted bodies were
then shipped to Glas in Dingolfing. This caused rust problems.
After the BMW takeover, the Glas GT was modified into BMW
1600GT with engine, transmission and rear suspension from
BMW 1600TI but the body was unchanged, except for the grille.
Production ended in august 1968 after 1255 1600GT were made.

Thomas