Re: Timing gears and 5 speed boxes

To: "Laury, Victor" <LauryV@MTA.NET>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing gears and 5 speed boxes
From: "Steve Landuyt" <stl@adnc.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:42:41 -0700
Victor,

How many participants do you need?  I'm in.

I'm restoring a U20 and have purchased a timing set up at current prices.
Painful.  I don't look forward to replacing timing parts in the future,  but
as intriguing as the  various potential engine swaps are,  they aren't my
cup of tea. I 'd like to keep the U20 in the car.

>From speaking to vendors, it looks like there are no other currently
available sources for timing gears once the current stock is gone.   For the
past couple of years there has been the hope that "something"  would happen.
Maybe Nissan would put them back into production, maybe Nissan would
identify the original producer who would then become a direct source, maybe
a vendor would reproduce them, maybe something else would happen.  So far it
hasn't.

I'm ready to have a group of us take the initiative.

Steve Landuyt
San Diego
'69 2000